Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Happy Birthday Dad!!!




I'm extremely thrilled to share with everyone that my DAD turned 75 on September 25th, this year. I called him in India and he was all excited and enthu about his birthday bash with his friends and families and had a blast.

Since I was not able to make it to India, I penned down a few lines for him as I wanted to share my experiences and the nostalgic moments I shared with him during these years. He read these lines before everyone with his misty eyes.

Before I was myself you made me, me
With love and patience, discipline and tears,
Then bit by bit stepped back to set me free,
Allowing me to sail upon my sea,

Though well within the headlands of your fears.

Before I was myself you made me, me
With dreams enough of what I was to be

And hopes that would be sculpted by the years,
Then bit by bit stepped back to set me free,
For love inspires learning naturally:The mind assents to what the heart reveres.

And so it was through love you made me, meBy slowly stepping back to set me free.
*********************
The things you taught me I will always know.
How could I not? The roots have sunk so deep:
All lessons of the heart that I will keep

No matter who I am or where I go.
Kids learn from what their parents are, and so
You are my book of life, the thoughts I reap;
Only in your arms I quiet sleep;

Under my words your voice sings soft and slow.
From you I learned the rules of right and wrong
Against which I at times had to rebel,
Though with regret I carry with me still.

and finally,

You've been everything to me: a father,
Teacher, playmate, model, conscience, friend.
Sometimes I'm not certain why you bother,
If your feelings on my words depend.

I know I haven't been the child I should:
Far from it, and I really can't say why.
I know exactly what I'd label good,
But in the real world something goes awry.

Underneath my actions there is love,
Gratitude, respect, and admiration.
Sometimes I don't know what I'm thinking of,
But I thank God you're in for the duration.
I'm sorry, sorry for the things I do,
But please believe I cherish Mom and you.

3 comments:

Sourin Rao said...

Anshul
Just one word man: stupendous.
Please wish uncle a very Happy B'day on our behalf as well.
Sourin

Anonymous said...

Superb work, anshul, keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Reciprocating my son’s gesture for giving me a memorable birthday-bash

My dear Son,
With heaps of love, I wish to narrate to you the story of my life as in your childhood days, I narrated to you some fairy tales, while I lay in my bed and you listened spellbound sitting on my tummy.

Once upon a time an old man lived in Lucknow. His wife had left him for her heavenly journey to face the world at the fag end of his life. But by God’s grace, the old man had been blessed with two ‘Jewels’ of off springs – a boy and a girl.

The girl grew to be an affectionate and caring daughter to the old man. The boy, though thousands of miles away with a very sweet wife and an adorable son, extended all help and love to the old man like a worthy son. The old man was not allowed to feel lonely in the mischievous company of his two lovely granddaughters…correction! Two lovely grand-mothers.

On the old man’s 75th birthday, the daughter and the son conspired in a very hush-hush manner to throw a surprise birthday party for their father and there children joined hands with them.

Dear Son, I cannot help myself but to reciprocate my feelings for you with the following few lines:

September 25th in A.D. two thousand five,
A unique red letter day of his eventless wife.
In the old man’s early twilight sleep,
Brought music, birthday wishes and roses did gently creep.

Your feelings woven with fond emotions
Into a sentimental poem was my salvation.
And moved me to tears, my heart flying free
With every beat full of joyful glee.

In my wildest dreams or imagination
I could never fathom my ‘Coronation’
Ay the fag end of my life,
My 75th birthday to be precise.

Truly a regal ‘Coronation’ it was
Topped with a ‘tiara’ of Platinum – not brass.
And a gala surprise party for sure,
With scores of guests and gifts galore.

A ‘tiara’; studded with diamonds and precious stones
Injecting new life into the old man’s bones
Birthday greetings on a cell phone – full of love
As if across the Pacific brought in my dove

Dear Children, I feel 75 years young today
May GOD bless you all! That’s all that I pray
And now I wish to live some more
Who would not, With a son so far yet at my door

With tons of love,
Your Papa

M.S. Dhoni - A PHENOMENON!